HIV & AIDS
The scourge of HIV and AIDS has been particularly devastating in sub-Saharan Africa and South Africa. Phoenix Child Welfare has recognized that AIDS is not only a health crisis but also a social crisis that has drastically infected and affected our community. Nobody is immune to the virus because AIDS does not discriminate against one’s sexual orientation, gender, race, social- economic status or age.
To address the seriousness of this pandemic, Phoenix Child Welfare has a HIV team that educates individuals, schools and the community on issues related to HIV/AIDS. The team conducts awareness campaigns, advice desks and workshops in an effort to reduce the spread of the disease:
• a capacity building workshop was held at the Phoenix Youth Centre with 97 Crèche masters.
• A total number of 389 learners from Highstone and Clayheights Primary were educated on the dangers of unsafe sex practices.
• 80 foster care children attended a therapeutic workshop on grief and bereavement.
• Advice desks were help at the Phoenix Taxi Rank and Millennium Market.
• In commemoration of World Aids Day, 97 individuals were addressed on the importance of HIV /AIDS, a mobile clinic was also site to encourage individuals to know their status.
POVERTY ALLEVIATION & SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
The National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund (NLDTF) has funded the Skills Development Project at Phoenix Child Welfare. This has enabled us to render free skills development training and workshops to the communities of Phoenix, Mt Moriah and Mt Royal. The target group included unemployed men, women and youth, HIV infected individuals and senior citizens.
Workshops on beadwork, Craft Sewing, textile design, and candle makingare currently bing conducted.
The following are some of the outcomes of the project:
• Members were equipped with usable skills
• Jobs were created
• Members were able to earn an income
• Some members were able to start their own businesses
• They were able to feed and support their families
• They imparted skills to others
• Members also created an enabling environment were problems and solutions were shared.